The Dakota County Sheriff's Explorer Program, run by the Dakota County Sheriff's Office in partnership with Learning For Life, is a non-profit organization dedicated to introducing young adults to Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice careers. Explorers are trained by department advisors in law enforcement techniques, community policing, crime prevention and first aid. The skills they learn are tested at State and National Competitions. It also prepares them for a career in law enforcement.
Goals and Opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the Law Enforcement profession
- Learn about ethics involved with Law Enforcement
- Improve decision making and problem solving skills
- Improve communication skills
- Improve leadership skills
- Have completed the 8th grade
- Be 14-20 years of age
- Submit an application
- Pass a background check
- Maintain a C average or better
- Pass a six month probationary period
If you are interested in joining the Explorers Program we are now accepting applications. Please click here to get an applicaiton!
For additional information, please contact Sergeant Dawanna Witt at (651) 438-4736 or Dawanna.Witt@co.dakota.mn.us.