Firearms Law and Gun Permit Regulations
- Applications for Permits to Purchase firearms and suppressors will still be processed by the local police agency that patrols your area. If you live in an area under the primaryjurisdiction of the Sheriff's Office, we will process those applications.
- All applications for Permits to Carry a Firearm will be processed by the Sheriff's Office. This includes replacement cards, renewals and data changes, such as change of address.
- Applications will only be accepted between the hours of 8:00 to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays
- All fees must be in the form of cash or checks. No credit, debit, or bank cards will be accepted
- The Permit to Carry application and/or renewal fee in Dakota County is $75
- Renewal applications will not be accepted more than 90 days before the expiration date
- The initial permit is valid for five years unless the holder becomes prohibited during that period.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Applicants (both new and renewal) must complete the training, state application, pay the fee, submit the form in person, and pass the background/criminal history check requirements
- Provide proof of course completion of the Minnesota Personal Protection Act from a BCA certified instructor. This training must have been completed within 12 months prior to the date of application.
- Complete the Minnesota Standardized application and pay the required fee. The application fee must be presented in person.
- Successfully pass the required background check.
- Permits issued in Minnesota are valid throughout Minnesota. Certain states offer reciprocity for Minnesota Permit to Carry holders. Please check with individual states to determine whether or not they do.
Applicants (both new and renewal) must complete the following steps in the process:
In order to ensure the most up to date form is completed, please visit the
BCA website and print the appropriate form. You may complete the form prior to your arrival, but do not date the form until the actual day it is submitted. Forms are also available at our office for completion.
For information on updating your current permit please follow this link to the Gun Permit Update Page.
For an updated list of states with Permit to Carry reciprocity click HERE