Minimum Qualifications-General Duty Deputy
Associate or Bachelor's Degree in Law Enforcement
P.O.S.T Licensed or P.O.S.T Certified
Required license(s) at appointment:
- Licensure with the Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (P.O.S.T)
- Valid Driver's License
- First Aid Training
Minimum Qualifications-Correctional Deputy
- Associate's Degree or higher in Corrections, Criminal Justice or a closely related field. OR
- Two years of full-time Corrections or Public Safety related work experience. OR
- a combination of related education (i.e. completed coursework with an unfinished degree) AND Corrections or Public Safety related work experience to total two years.
- Educational/Experience Qualifications: candidates must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the posting and be able to produce appropriate documentation regarding their current status with the P.O.S.T Board.
- Interviews: Candidates will be asked to complete a series of interviews; this may include phone interviews, oral board interviews and/or interviews with the Chief Deputy and Sheriff.
- Cooper Standard Fitness Test: candidates that successfully complete the fitness test will proceed to the background process (see below).
- Background Check: candidates must pass a thorough background investigation conducted by the Dakota County Sheriff's Office. Applicants must meet standards regarding acceptable driving and conviction records, employment history, and honesty.
- Psychological Examinations: after passing the fitness test and background check a conditional offer of employment will be extended. To proceed to the final step in the recruitment process, the candidate must be recommended for hire based on the psychological examination results.
- Medical Examination: candidates who have successfully passed all components above will be scheduled to complete a medical examination. This is the final step in the recruitment process.