MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL DUTY DEPUTY
• Associate or Bachelor's Degree in Law Enforcement
• Completion of the Skills Course or equivalent training/experience recognized by the Minnesota Board of Peace Officers Standards & Training.
• P.O.S.T. Licensed OR P.O.S.T. Certified.
Required license(s) at appointment:
• Licensure as a Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (P.O.S.T.).
• Valid Driver's License
• First Aid Training
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - CORRECTIONAL DEPUTY
• Associate's Degree or higher in Corrections, Criminal Justice or a closely related field.
• Two years of full-time Corrections or Public Safety related work experience.
• A combination of related education (i.e. completed coursework with an unfinished degree) AND Corrections or Public Safety related work experience to total two years.
1. Educational/Experience Qualifications: candidates must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the posting and be able to produce appropriate documentation regarding their current status with the P.O.S.T. Board.
2. Interviews: Candidates will be asked to complete a series of interviews; this may include phone interviews, oral board interviews and/or interviews with the Chief Deputy and Sheriff.
3. Cooper Standard Fitness Test: candidates that successfully complete the fitness test will proceed to the background process. (See Below)
4. Background Check: candidates must pass a thorough background investigation conducted by the Dakota County Sheriff's Office. Applicants must meet standards regarding acceptable driving and conviction records, employment history, and honesty.
5. Psychological Examinations: after passing the fitness test and background check a conditional offer of employment, will be extended. To proceed to the final step in the recruitment process the candidate must be recommended for hire based on the psychological examination results.
6. Medical Examinations: candidates whom have successfully passed all components above will be scheduled to complete a medical examination. This is the final step in the recruitment process.